Coorg, also known as Kodagu, is a picturesque district located in the southwestern state of KarnATAKA, India. Known for its beautiful scenery, rich culture, and unique traditions, Coorg is a popular tourist destination that offers visitors a wide range of activities and attractions. From stunning natural landscapes to historical and cultural landmarks, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Coorg. Here are some of the best places to visit in Kodagu:
- Abbey Falls: This picturesque waterfall is located in the heart of a coffee plantation and is a popular spot for visitors to take in the natural beauty of Coorg. The waterfall cascades down a steep hill and into a deep pool below, making for a beautiful and serene setting.
- Dubare Elephant Camp: This elephant camp is located on the banks of the Kaveri River and offers visitors the opportunity to interact with and learn about elephants. Visitors can take elephant rides, watch elephant baths and feeding, and even learn how to train and care for these gentle giants.
- Raja’s Seat: This is a beautiful viewpoint that offers panoramic views of the surrounding hills and valleys. It is said to have been a favorite spot of the local kings, who would come here to enjoy the views and take in the fresh mountain air.
- Talacauvery: This is the birthplace of the Cauvery River, the largest river in south India. Visitors can take a dip in the holy waters and visit the nearby temple, which is dedicated to the goddess Cauvery.
- Namdroling Monastery: This is one of the largest Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in south India and is home to over 5,000 monks and nuns. Visitors can take a tour of the monastery, watch prayers and rituals, and learn about Tibetan Buddhism.
- Madikeri Fort: This historical fort was built by the local kings in the 17th century and offers visitors a glimpse into the region’s rich history and culture. The fort is home to a museum and several temples, and offers stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys.
- Raja’s Tomb: This is a unique and beautiful tomb that was built for the local kings and their families. The tomb is located in a peaceful and serene setting, surrounded by lush greenery and beautiful flowers.
- Cauvery Nisargadhama: This is a beautiful island located on the banks of the Cauvery River and offers visitors a wide range of activities and attractions. Visitors can take a boat ride, go for a nature walk, or simply relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
These are just a few of the many wonderful places to visit in Coorg. With its beautiful scenery, rich culture, and unique traditions, Coorg offers visitors a truly memorable and authentic experience. Whether you’re an adventure seeker, a history buff, or simply looking for a relaxing getaway, Coorg has something for everyone to enjoy.